An upgraded version of one of our favorite reels. Proudly made in the USA.
The Hatch Finatic has been a staple reel for many years here at the lodge. Their new model, the Iconic has all the features of the older model we loved but with a few extra upgrades.
The Iconic Reel retains the now ‘Iconic’ Hatch window pattern with 6 fins, recalling the original Finatic model. Instantly identifiable and classic, the Hatch look is simply Iconic. However, it was due for a style upgrade that can be seen in the shape of the drag knob - which brings depth - and the ‘H’ brand logo. They now use a bright dip finishing that brings out the shine of the machined parts while also keeping the strong coloring of matte anodize.
Hatch was the first and now one of the only reel manufacturers to make the reel body out of one piece. It is an expensive way to produce the reel but has the advantage of never having a reel seat loosen up due to galvanic corrosion. For the Iconic, they have reshaped the reel seat for a more contemporary look.
- Through better design and concentricity, Hatch has increased sealing by eliminating water entry points through subtracting superfluous components from past models.
- The Iconic reel does not utilize a cassette to house the drag system as in past models - instead, it is now built into the body. This has decreased axial runout which creates a more stable and solid design.
- In many ways, the Iconic spool is similar to previous models, but with a few key differences. They ported the spool arbor which will allow lines to dry better on the reel after use - think of it as ventilation. They have also cut aesthetic holes into the Mid Arbor spools, making it much simpler than before to distinguish between a large and mid arbor.
- The new carbon-filled drag material not only dissipates heat faster but also creates a smoother feel. This is the smoothest drag system to date.
- Spool Nut- New look, similar function, but with a big improvement. On the Iconic Hatch has implemented a one piece design in order to prevent pieces from coming apart.
- The new handle design significantly reduces the risk of galvanic corrosion. They have retained the aluminum handle, it now has a softer look and feel.